Middle Eastern Policy

I have to say I was happy to hear the Muhammed Morsi was deposed, although my emotions were mixed. 

The ascendancy of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt has been a concern for those who follow the persecuted church in the world.  Christians have been targeted in Egypt, and I would imagine secular Egyptians had their own fears about sharia-type laws. So if the love of the MB was put out of power, I am not going to weep.

However, the alternative, a military dictatorship, hardly sounds good, and Morsi was elected democratically, at least in their system of democracy.  A lot of Americans don't get that there are different forms of democracy. 

Syria is another issue.  Assad is no saint; one can find little to defend.  But trusting the rebels, and arming them to boot, is a frightening prospect.  I have to part ways with Senator McCain on this; I am not sure where he is coming from. 

The deprivation in Syria and the massive numbers of refugees, however, is equally frightening.

The days of the U.S. as the police may be over.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?