The Immigrants and the Walking Lady


Sometimes you just see things and they are so juxtaposed that they are unmistakable.  I had one of those moments this week.

I drive down a shaded road to get to my job at the college.  There is a sidewalk on one side and lots of apartment complexes on both sides.  An attractive older woman in short shorts and a stylish cap was taking her morning exercise to my left.  To my right two stocky, fully clothed immigrant laborers were putting down pine needles as mulch for the landscaping at one of the apartment complexes.  They were getting their exercise by hard work. 

In the same community we have such a range of socioeconomic and cultural diversity.  On one side, people who will do anything honest and honorably to stay here and make a living and enjoy the freedoms of this country (despite the occasional blip, and despite my feelings about our current government, we do have awesome freedoms).  On the other, a woman who may never even given a second thought to question her place in society and her status, wealth, opportunity, and privilege. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?