The Women, 1939



I said I wasn’t going to, but last night I watched, for the umpteenth time, the 1939 film The Women.  

One has to watch it at least three times to get all the lines.  It’s hilarious and witty, and the performances are great.  And I love the clothes (although the Technicolor fashion show is bizarre). 

That is not to say I agree with its basic message, which comes down to this:

“Men are stupid, and women are conniving.”

Or more precisely:  Men are incapable of fidelity, so women must either (a) put up with it or (b) fight for their man, to keep him out of the clutches of the other woman.  Women cannot trust other women, who only want another man and will take yours if it means more money or social position. 

I say:  Men are capable of fidelity; it’s just that they can get away with it because of (a) immoral woman (it takes two to tango) and (b) women let them.  If a man gets away with it once, why wouldn’t he try again?  A woman who puts up with infidelity encourages it.  Forgiveness is granted but trust is earned.  I do not believe I would be forgiving.  Period.  But that will never be an issue in my life. 

As a Christian, whose most basic relationships are primarily with other Christians, I have a different take on it all.  Women have never been “chattel” in the New Testament world view; we were freed from that by this new counter-cultural faith.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?