Homeschooling parents: MUST READ

http://writingrhetorically.com/2013/05/28/homeschooling-momma-bears/

This writer is spot on. 

I have taught college for over 30 years, in two Christian colleges, a technical college, a community college, a university, and a state college.  Plagiarism became rampant with the Internet, and most college professors take it seriously.  I do not always fail a student but I don't give them credit for plagiarized work, either.  I use plagiarism detection software and assignments that do not allow for easy borrowing, although it happens.

What struck me in this excellent article is that narcissism is alive and well and doesn't just exist in the Kartrashian family.  A parent who would defend a child's lying and misrepresentation is saying, "I am so involved in my child's life that it's all about me, and I can't separate from him or her."

However, I edit a (small) scholarly journal and had to deal with plagiarism from a professor at another college this summer.  Crazy.  Obviously I didn't publish the article, which was only 1/2 original, if that.  Unfortunately, it didn't go further.  The writer (well, I'm not sure I can call her/him that!--the copier) should have been censured at her/his institution.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?