Ignorant of the Faith

Christians concerned about evangelism often say that when you talk to someone of a different faith, those persons often do not really know anything about their faith.  He/she is a ___ for family, ethnic, or cultural reasons but not because of choice, knowledge of the teachings of the faith, or personal commitment.

Well, don't jump to criticize too much.  I believe that is probably true of most people who call themselves Christians in this country.  Barna has proven how little the average church person knows about the Bible and doctrine.  I find it in my own teaching.  I cannot even assume that people know the difference between John the Baptist and John the Apostle.  They define religion as denomination, so a Methodist is a different religion from a Baptist. 

Bible study is hard and most of the books that purport to be Bible studies are unsystematic, emotion- or self-oriented, or agenda-driven.  I hope to write a book on Biblical hermeneutics for dummies one of these days. 

I had this discussion with a student the other day, who was concerned about how she related to the Muslims with whom she worked.  I told her to show honest interest in their beliefs, if they could articulate them--but I hope she can articulate hers.  I think she will; she seemed pretty savvy.  But we who think ourselves "teachers" in the church will have a lot to answer for, as the book of James says.  No names,please.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?