Star Trek: Yes, I Went

I have given up superhero movies--no more Iron Man or Superman and Batman (although I don't consider him a superhero).  I am not ready to give up Star Trek, so I went to see the latest iteration last Sunday at what we call the dollar movie that is now $3.75.  Inflation.

I really like Benedict Cumberbatch, and I didn't know he was Khan and this was the reboot of the Wrath of Khan (true confession, that's the only Star Trek movie I haven't seen, and not sure why.  It's on Netflix so I guess I will).  So, I was experiencing the movie without preconceptions.  I enjoyed it, but the whole conceit of the ship saving the day no matter what the problem, and the ruse of everything being at the very last minute, get old.  The characters use too many slang expressions that wouldn't be used in 200 years (or whatever it is), such as "throw me under the bus."  (Buses in that world?)  It is truly an issue of buying into the characters who have been around since the '60s and sticking with them for nostalgia's sake or just because we think the emotionlessness of Spock, the boldness of Kirk, and the irascible emotion of Bones works.  Also, the pace of JJAbrams work is so frenetic, so fast, in contrast to how the old ones were slow. 

My husband sings the praises of 2001:  A Space Odyssey, always pointing out the slowness of space.  I think he has a point.  In space life would have an entirely different pace.

I'm no Trekie.  I thought the '80s-'90s version on TV was the best in terms of characters and even plots (although some of those fell into "the ship will save us" mode).  The Borg was ingenious.  Avery Brooks and Patrick Stewart were believable in an unbelievable setting.    Data was priceless.  But those folks seem to have accepted the end of that era.  The current return to "pre-Star Trek" Star Trek is interesting but I don't know if it will go down in memories like the others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?