Status of My Doctoral Work and Reality

Yesterday I mailed off the prospectus for my dissertation.  I am taking two research methods classes this semester.  I edit an online journal, I am the vice president of a professional organization, I teach six classes right now (with another coming, constituting four preps), sponsor a student organization, lead a writers' group, and oh, yes, have relationships with lots of people.  But . . .

Yesterday I was in a Panera, standing at the drink station, getting my water.  A tall young man stood beside me.  I happened to look down and saw that he had not one, but two, prosthetic legs.  To that point, I thought--"basketball player."  I was overcome, not knowing the reason for his loss of limbs but feeling acutely that I had both of mine; I have never even broken a bone. (Lately I have been surrounded by people with major  broken bones).  How we  whine and complain about inane things.

Yet the idea of being driven to gratitude because of the misfortune or tragedy of others is pretty disturbing.  Nevertheless, we do it; it is sometimes a  wake-up call, I suppose, but practicing the art and grace of gratitude everyday is a good way to free ourselves from having to be shocked into gratefulness.  

So, I do not whine about the workload of the doctoral program, thankful for the opportunity.  It's paid for, for one thing, through my work.  My teachers are experts in the field (the joys of an R1!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?