The News Media gets it wrong

Last Saturday I went out to get the mail from our mail carrier.  Sometimes she has heavy packages and she has a disability, so we don't want her to have to deal with them, so we watch for her. 

"I thought you guys were going to stop delivering mail on Saturdays," I said.

"Why did you think that?"  she asked. "They haven't said anything to us about it."

"It was all over the Internet back in the spring that the Post Office was going to stop Saturday service."

"They lied," was her two-word answer.

How often I could have said that about the news media in my life.  How often have they not lied but told the partial story.  The other day Michael Yousef, the Egyptian pastor, was being interviewed on Janet Parshall's show, about what's going on in the Middle East.  His organization has "boots on the ground" doing ministry there.  I trust his word a whole lot more than AP, Fox, or New York Times.

Someone posted on Facebook "Why are people so upset over Miley Cyrus when children are being killed in Syria?"  Indeed.  I have been praying for Syria for months, with vague understanding.  I have little sympathy for the leaders of the rebellion because I fear they are Islamists who want a revolution like Iran's, but of course Assad is an unjust leader/ruler.  There is no nice in-between for the people of Syria.  As much as I dislike Representative Grayson from Florida, he is right when he says, "Where did we get the idea that when there is an internal problem in another country the solution is to drop bombs on it?"  I don't see how sending Cruise Missiles will help.  There is a role for diplomacy. 

(In reference to Miley Cyrus, though, I think our capacity for outrage can take in both of them.  But the two instances are not comparable.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?