Why blog?

I have not been blogging much lately, for a few reasons that boil down to other pressures of life make it hard to focus on blogging anything of value.  Yet I have this compulsion to come back to this page and type in ideas, reviews, observations, experiences.  Maybe it is just an electronic diary that I have to censor.  Maybe I want to drum up business for my novels.  Maybe I fancy myself a writer people want to read.  A lot of spammers apparently do.

Maybe I just want to share things like this that I just can't share on Facebook.

Some of my more conservative friends would misunderstand, maybe.  I think the Onion is terribly funny, but it's also terribly offensive at times.  This article is a good discussion of humor.  The editors of the Onion point out that 1. they make their headlines follow the style of news so the style elevates it to something that gets attention, and 2.  sometimes they just tweak one word to make it funny.  

So I'm going to catch up on my blogging tonight.  I am home from work, and not feeling like going out into the 90 degree heat (it has finally gotten hot) and not feeling particularly well anyway.  We have new carpet in our building (it's hideously ugly) and I am beginning to wonder if it is causing me nausea and headache (the chemicals, not the design).  I also moved downstairs to a different office that may not have as good circulation of air.  This gives me an excuse not to be in my office anymore than I have to.  Even better, I turned in the prospectus to my dissertation yesterday (overnighted it to Athens at the cost of $64, thank you).  I feel that I can take a breather from it.  I also feel maybe I will actually finish this program.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?