Anger Management

Our pastor gave a vital sermon on anger this morning.  Obviously, it got me to thinking.

Where does anger come from?

Not getting what one wants.
Perceiving potential obstacles to what one wants
Certain triggers (phrases, sights, contexts) that one has been "trained" to respond to in anger
Not understanding a context or expression
A sense that in injustice is taking place, either to oneself or others
Making a huge mistake (we can be angry at ourselves)

Or a combination of these.

The only solution to anger is to recognize its causes and then rescript what is behind what we want.  I responded very angrily (but not "madly") to certain news at work the other day.  Some of that came from a sense of injustice and also from a sense of being taken advantage of, a sense that I have trained myself, by choice, to respond to in anger.   But I am taken advantage of because I let it, so I was angry and continually frustrated in myself for letting that happen.

Anger at others demands reconciliation, which in itself can be painful.

So, through this I found myself asking why I do what I do that gets me into these frustrated situations in the first place.  Part of it comes from self-definition and wanting to be excel in a professional life, perhaps above all, because no one notices when you excel in a personal life.  Therefore, being noticed is too big a motive.

My point is, unless one reflects and asks the hard questions, and then gets external spiritual help (for there is nothing in us to solve these problems) they will continue to frustrate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?