Consistent inconsistencies, and inconsistent consistencies--and a box of tampons

On the same theme of my last post, I was listening to NPR today when coming home from my Sunday morning activities of church and visiting my mom.  I also went to Cracker Barrel with my Sunday School class ladies for lunch and had the friend chicken salad, which was very good, by the way.   On the radio I listened to New Dimensions.

I really don't know why a show about religion is on NPR, because they definitely wouldn't play John Piper or Chuck Swindoll.  But I digress.  I listen to this show frequently and although I object to its basic world view, I am often intrigued by it, especially when it focuses on literature or writing, which it, sort of, was today.  I do not remember the speaker, but one can go to its website to find out.  He had written a book Open Mind, Wise Mind and was speaking about openness in creativity.

I am a firm believer that we all have much more creativity than we realize, and that it is possible to "tap" into our subconscious to unleash it, and that the subconscious has a deep wellspring of thoughts, images, insights, juxtapositions, stories, words, etc. that we aren't aware of.  I believe this for two reasons:  First, we are not blank slates when we are born; there is already a lot in there by virtue of being human and having brains.  (Don't mistake this for collective unconsciousness or having an eternal existence before birth; it comes from the Imago Dei, from being made in the image of God who is intelligent and creative.)  Second, we have far more experiences that we cannot remember--or perhaps should not-- in our conscious mind but are still there.  I also believe in a type of racial memory, although I could be argued out of that.

My point is that both of these sources of the subconscious (or unconscious) are largely external, whereas New Age thought sees the sources as internal.  That is how Christian spirituality differs from other types.  When we are "spiritual," it is because an external being, the Holy Spirit, resides and controls us from within, not because our spirit is so beneficent.  Most Christians do not have a good understanding or theology of the Holy Spirit in the first place, and confuse their own with the Holy Spirit.  Our spirituality results in godliness and fruit, not inner ethereal experiences.

Now, in terms of creativity, I have experienced tapping into flow of thoughts when I start to write and then have looked at it and said, "Where in the world did that come from?"  But those times come when I write, when my body and mind are totally enveloped in the process for an extended period.

Openness is the key.  I do not think an open mind will necessarily be a wise mind.  Christian spirituality teaches openness to the Spirit of God but discernment and filtering in response to other stimuli.  If your eye offends thee  . . . walk away from that which causes you to stumble, do not embrace it.  But in openness to the Holy Spirit, experiences will be seen as gateways to service and joy that we might have otherwise missed.

Everyday people cross our paths whom we can serve if we see them in that capacity rather than as obstacles, objects of judgment, or means to our own ends.  A woman in my Sunday School class who lives in a rough place right now said an indigent woman came up to her and ask for a box of tampons.  My friend had a box.  That is the equivalent of a cup of cold water.  We have the means, we need only open our ears, eyes, hands.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?