Shooting Guns

My husband went up into Marion County, TN, yesterday afternoon and shot at the range at Prentice Cooper State Park.  This was my first time at an outdoor range.

We shot .22s and a 30-30 that belongs to his brother and that he has been cleaning.  I actually did not shoot the 30-30 because the kickback was too strong.  He had bought an automatic .22 for me that I didn't know about, a choice that did not make me happy, actually.  But I enjoy shooting and the open range was an interesting experience.

There were several others there, but not as many as I would have expected.  There are spaces for targets 10 yards away, 50 yards, and 100 yards.  We shot at the 50 yards.  When someone has to go get his/her target, the call "cold range" goes out so that no one will, of course, shoot or even mess with a gun while the person is walking to the target.  To save time, more than one will go at that break time.  I went out to get the targets when I was finished and had to admit that gun enthusiasts are the ones who understand and respect guns; I felt a tad uncomfortable walking out there, having to trust all these people I didn't know

There were other women there, older, like me, and a young girl with her boyfriend who was trying to impress her.  They were shooting .45s.  One older woman, with her husband, was shooting a very high-powered deer rifle that made an incredibly loud report.  It was a 260 something or other.  I thought it could have shot and killed an elephant. 

I shoot pretty well; nothing to write home about, but on the target and pretty much where I want it to be.  We have two .22s, and I preferred the nonautomatic, where I have to pull back and the bullet pops out--like in an old Western. 

One older gentleman spent all his time cleaning his gun, which he said he hadn't shot from in 50 years.  He seemed to be there for the social element.  I imagine his wife doesn't want him messing with guns in the house.  I can understand that. 

Shooting is fun, and while I am not going to picket for gun rights, people who go to ranges are not the ones we have to worry about. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?