The Zen of Social Media Marketing

I recently received this book in the mail, having ordered it because I am teaching a course in epublishing next semester (I hope!) and I want to learn about leveraging social media.

I have only read the first chapter and realized I have done everything wrong.  I tried to get a bunch of Facebook friends.  That didn't really work because of the way Facebook works; you don't see everyone's posts, just the ones you are responding to a lot; therefore, those 1000 people aren't seeing my marketing, which is essentially spam anyway.

If one is going to market online, it's a full-time job, not an occasional post.

She says that the Zen part (I'm not a Buddhist, so I think that word is used as a marketing ploy for the book) is to not try so hard.  Baloney.  For most of us, marketing is extremely hard work.  But the book looks like it has good ideas, and I plan to use it as a text for the class, at least at this point.

Working full-time as a college professor trying to earn full professor status, being in a doctoral program, trying to actually write, and taking care of some intense family issues really doesn't give one much time for this marketing.  It would have to be something I spend an hour or two a day on.  But my eventual goal is to get the degree, market myself as an expert in a couple of fields, and write ebooks for easy download on a variety of subjects not being written on--Biblical studies and hermeneutics, teaching freshmen, teaching open access, faculty development, business communication, parenting older children, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?