Doctoral progress and process

Yesterday I successfully passed my written and oral examinations at University of Georgia in the Ed.D. in Adult Education program.  It was a good experience, actually, but I prize learning.  The good news is I get to keep going on my research.  The bad news is I have to keep going on my research!

So, lots to do, including some revisions for the next document, which will be the summary of my data collection and how I will intervene in the system (or how the Action research team will). 

Now that I am almost in the "club" (of scholars, doctoral people, researchers, etc.) I am getting a different perspective.  I am beginning to understand the doctoral process.  It is not just hoop-jumping, although there is some of that.  It is a paradigm shift.  I have resisted that, not wanting to be made into a different person.  But I am in that process.  I won't lose my essence or my beliefs and values, but I will of necessity look at the world somewhat differently.  I am ok with that now.

However, I am old enough not to be too impressed with myself.  Like the old turtle analogy, I didn't get on the fence post by myself, although I have worked hard in my life and it's time to start enjoying that and even more, stop working so hard at unnecessary things.  I spend way too much time making things easy for my students when they could suffer through a little ambiguity to be forced to think.  Scaffolding is important, but so is trying to figure it out by oneself.  No one has accused me of not being clear in my assignments; but I learned a long time ago Tucker's Law:  If someone can possibly find a way to misunderstand you, they will.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?