Post #1100: Theological Notes

I have longed believed, and written, that evangelicals do not have a solid theology of the Holy Spirit.  It is defensive in that it warns against the charismatic movement, but it also minimizes the Holy Spirit and gives him a secondary or tertiary role in the Trinity, a form of modalism or even heresy in my book.  The Shack didn't help matters either, portraying the Holy Spirit as a transparent Asian woman who flits around a lot.  The Holy Spirit doesn't flit.

So I will quote from The Valley of Vision today as my 1100th post:

O God, the Holy Spirit, . . .
When Thou didst hover over chaos, order came to birth,
beaty robed the world, fruitfulness sprang forth,
Move, I pray thee, upon my disordered heart;
Take away the infirmities of unruly desires and hateful lusts;
Lift the mists and darkness of unbelief;
Brighten my soul with the pure light of truth;
Make it fragrant as the garden of paradise. . .

Fulfill in me the glory of thy divine offices;
Be my comforter, light, guide, sanctifier;
Take of the things of Christ and show them to my soul;
Through thee may I daily learn more of His love,
grace, compassion, faithfulness, beauty; . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?