Advent Reflection #23: Real Oppression Vs. Fake

For the last week all I have heard is Duck Dynasty this, Phil Robertson that.  Oppression this, hypocrisy that.  Cracker Barrel this, A&E that.  Free speech this, bigotry that.

I've written about this already and haven't changed my view, except to say that there is more of opinion than oppression in this whole matter. 

It is probably safe to say that almost every evangelical in the country has heard about this matter and has expressed an opinion, probably on Facebook.  I can see why Bobby Jindal weighed in, since the show takes place in the state of which he is governor (and the state probably makes a lot from the tax money).  Why every other conservative did, I am not sure.

In the last post I quoted the lyrics to "O Holy Night," "Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease."  We Americans have two views of oppression.  There is the oppression we consider inappropriate for us to endure.
Our oppression amounts to any backlash on free expression of opinion about anything.  And then there is the oppression we say tsk, tsk about and turn our heads from, the persecution of Coptic Christians in Egypt and believers in Syria; there are many other examples I could give. 

I really don't care about the Robertsons and the show, and I don't have much concern about their feelings of violated free speech.  I do care about the power of the media both politically and psychologically, and the power of aggrieved groups to control the debate.  I heard Condi Rice (one of my heroes) say on TV the other day (it was a forum from three years ago on C-Span) that aggrievement leads to entitlement.   And I do care about free speech, either way.

The best thing I've read about this was by Russell Moore, one of the head Southern Baptists and a very smart man.  Here it is.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?