Advent Reflections: Personal Thoughts

A break from the norm here.  Yesterday I finally got my tree up.  Two weeks of a tree is usually enough for me.  It looks good.  I have two kinds of ornaments:  "secular" and "religious," broadly speaking.  This year I went with the secular ones, snowflakes, bows, balls, etc, rather than angels and manger scenes.

However, I have far too many Christmas decorations.

I have far too many of everything.  Two closets of clothes.  Not enough places to put my kitchen utensils.  A basement full of everything imaginable.

I want for nothing, and therefore I want nothing for Christmas.  Not really.  I want the CD player in my car fixed.  I want a DVD of the noir classic Laura.   Mostly, I want time to tackle the pile of work I have to do.

Academics seem to think that once they get the grades done, they can disappear for three weeks until class starts again.  Or that is the party line.  I will be working 8-10 hours a day every day except Christmas and Christmas Eve.  I have a real problem with work-life balance. 

But that does not mean I won't enjoy the season.  I am. But I let other people entertain and I go along.  And I've caught up on my sleep and feel rested.

So, what is the message for today?  Slow down.  Just sit and look at your tree (the lights on ours are so bright I think you could land a plane with it).  Sip cocoa and put a dash of rum in it (did I say that?)  I once heard someone say that Christians would be a lot happier if they drank some alcohol.  Kind of kidding, there.  As alcoholism is a problem in our families, I do not take drinking lightly.

Play Christmas music.  Take a walk.   Stop spending money.  Pray that Christians in jail for their faith will know God's presence especially in this season of incarnation.

Give money to help the truly poor (not the "needy," as we are all needy). 

The rest of my advent reflections will be hymns.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?