Ducking Questions

Why do I feel compelled to weigh in on this manufactured controversy over Duck Dynasty?  I guess I feel like this blog is my own little free speech zone, my little turf in Cyberspace, so I'll say my piece.

A Christian can simply say, "The Bible (and give verses) says that some kinds of sexual behavior are wrong."  And leave it at that.  No comparisons, no gradations of right and wrong. No need to defend it; the Bible is a lion and defends itself.  He stepped in it.  An experienced hunter should have watched where he was walking.  Anyone who knows about conservative Christians knows their views on this.

If A&E wants to censure (as opposed to censor, a governmental action) him, I have no problem with that because they are a company giving them a platform.  Of course, A&E will also suffer because of all the show's fans.  A & E is no friend to wholesome programming.  If they have made a stupid business decision, they'll pay for it.  The Robertsons will probably go to a network like CMT that will embrace them.  That's life in the business world.

If I went somewhere as a representative of my employer and started giving controversial opinions, I would expect censure, too.  But on this blog I am my own spokesperson.

And giving an interview to GQ?  That was a trap.  Again, a hunter should watch where he's going.

No one disputes his right to say what he believes.  Well, obviously some do.  I don't.  Free speech is the foundation of our civilization.  But free speech doesn't mean we aren't responsible for what we say or everyone has to like it all the time.  It does take some courage to say what is not acceptable in the media today, and of course there are overreactions and faux outrage.  But I have a hard time feeling too sorry for them when there are Christians losing their lives in North Korea for just being who they are.

Addendum:  After some thought and reading the flurry of "concern" for Phil, I alter my opinion.  He may have known exactly what he was doing.  People want to treat him like he's a dumb cluck (or quack) but he's a savvy person.  I mean, they already had money and talked A&E into their show, and I can't go anywhere without seeing their faces on products.  He's not going to be hurt financially by this, and A&E, purveyors of Hoarders and similar shows, will be the losers.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?