Reflections on Lent, #2, March 8

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died.
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride.

This is a song, a verse we should examine.  "Survey" is not to just look.  I think of "survey" as what a surveyor does, to understand a geography.  What is the geography of the cross?  It is where the Prince of glory died.  All the depictions of Christ on the cross in movies or TV shows are just overdone, bloody scenes because they cannot depict him as the Prince of glory.  When we understand who is dying on the cross, we are in a place to count our so-called great accomplishments what they are. 

I am working hard to get a doctoral degree.  It is meaningless to me unless I know its value in comparison to the Prince of glory. In light of such, it is not hard to pour contempt on my pride, which is what we give up at Lent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?