Checking in

Thought I would post just to update. 

I just saw that one of my posts, the one on "Review of Group Dynamics in 12 Angry Men," has 770 hits.  Wow.  Not all of those are spam.  Apparently a lot of college students are looking at my work, and maybe I am being cited.  Something makes me think I am not.  Thank goodness for Turnitin; I wish all profs would use it, as it has been a lifesaver for me.  There are other similar programs but if it ain't broke, I ain't changing.

Mom is declining.  She is in bed 20-21 hours a day, at least.  I got a letter from an insurance company indicating she was dead and they needed a death certificate.  That was upsetting to deal with.  I made burial and funeral arrangements the other day.  I am concerned that I feel so unemotional about all of this; so much has to be done, so I am in "Get her done" mode; there is a lot of guilt involved in this whole process, but it is not about me right now, nor my unreasonable guilt.  My nephew and sons came this weekend, which was nice.

It looks like my play will be produced, but it needs some revisions.  I'll look through it a bit every day.  I am tempted to make it even crazier toward the end, really a parody of Agatha Christie, who almost always has either a former spouse who was a murderer or an illegitimate child who is implicated.  I have read enough of them to know.

16 of my books have been sold on Amazon in the past few days.  What is that about?

Tonight I have to listen to 20 persuasive speeches; I am serving pizza to the students.  I don't always do that, but it's a night class and we'll be there a while.

My son took me to the Mac store the other day to investigate buying one on tax-free day. It's tempting, although I have done so much on this one that it will be hard to give up.  It will die eventually, as it is over 7 years old.  Then we roamed around Barnes and Noble (my nephew was sitting with Mom).  An author from Knoxville was having a book signing.  We talked.  I won't say enough to identify her; she seems rather prolific so I bought one of her (overpriced) books and have been reading it.  It's not literary fiction, more romance Christian inspirational Hallmark kind of stuff, with specific local flair.  It's hard when I read this kind of thing not to think "My stuff is better" (I know Bringing Abundance Back is; it's the best thing I've written but I don't have time now to pursue getting it published); then I read other writers and say, Why am I messing around trying to write fiction?  It makes me feel better to know that books don't have to be that good to get published; they just need to be marketable.  Well, maybe it doesn't make me feel better.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?