Cynicism

My sweet husband came up to sit with my mom while I went to Sunday School this morning.  My class is listening to a Beth Moore video series on the book of James.  She knocked it out of the park this morning.

Point one:  Don't protect your students from the truth.  This applies to Bible teaching but I think to all teaching.  Many applications here.  That doesn't mean the truth would have to be slapped in their face, but it shouldn't be sugarcoated to the point it is unrecognizable.

Point two:  She spent half the lesson on the subject of cynicism, in the sense of how the Internet has made it possible for anyone anywhere to get on and criticize and be snarky (she didn't use that word, but it's a good one) about anyone and make it their religion; it is especially the religion of Christian.  She allowed that some people have had great disappointments, especially from working in churches, but that these folks needed to get their eyes off their disappointments and see what God is doing.  Jesus is still radically changing lives, people are still humbly serving God, and the word is being spread and studied.  Barriers are breaking down (she didn't mention racial ones, but she could have).  There is no reason to be cynical from wallowing in our own experiences.  I think we can be wary of evangelical excesses and "religious pop culture" (her term) but cynicism is not Biblical or Spirit-led.  It's a sin of superiority.

She also said she was shocked to see what people had written about her on the Internet.  I was a little surprised by that (not to be cynical here!) but perhaps she expects the best in people.  I would not be shocked by anything a person would write about me on the Internet because there are no boundaries, no restrictions, no safeguards, and no consequences, really, to what's on the Internet.

I confess to my own cynicism and my struggles with it, which is why I appreciated her talk.  I confess to even having written things about Beth Moore, mostly that she is overdramatic and frothy at times, but it's her thing, her shtick, just like I have my shtick in the classroom (animation, extreme statements to get attention, coming off like a mean person the first eight weeks and then being Mrs. Nice Guy.)  She has solid teaching and sometimes wields the sword just where it needs to be.

I likewise confess to other cynical comments in this blog, one of them about the book by Rosario Champlain on her conversion.  I was being honest; sometimes there is a fine line.  May we always be aware of it and not cross it.

Comments

fourkid said…
This was one of the best studies ever. loved it - and more than loved it - learned so much from it.

I have learned that each person is gifted and fitted with their own unique style (personality) to reach the audience God brings to them - whether that audience be one individual or thousands. I have been guilty of judging others based on how they interacted just with me - now I am more careful and try not to judge at all - though I still see suspect fruit at times.
Blessings,
Patti
What an affirming way to look at ministry. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?