Gone Girl

I went to see this movie last week.  I am torn between seeing it as very good cinema (not great) and seeing it as a glorified Lifetime Movie of the Week.

The plot of wronged woman getting revenge is not new; let's go back to Medea.  And I knew pretty early about that plot twist, that is, the first one.  What I think makes the difference here are two things:  the media angle, and the acting that pulls off the ambiguity.  In the end, the two truly are partners in crime, one willing, the other unwilling but trapped.  He will play forever for his betrayal of his psychopathic wife.  And despite Ben Affleck's naive defense of certain things, he pulls off the role probably better than the female lead does.

Do I recommend it?  It's a thrill ride, but it's disturbing at points too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?