Advent Thought #11, December 10

Joy.

We are often preached at that happiness and joy are not the same, that joy is a fruit of the Holy Spirit (I think we should be clear about what spirit when we say that) and consistent through trials and happiness is temporal and situational.  Oh, give me a break.  Let's not split hairs.

Joy fills the realm of Christmas.

Tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy.
Joy to the world (not originally a Christmas song, by the way)
Joy, Joy, Joy!  Sing we noel!
Luke 2:10:  And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. . . ."






Christmas is joyless if we fall into the trap of trying to impress with perfection.  I have a dear friend who is a perfect hostess but makes it look seamless and effortless and visits with her guests rather than fuss around.  That is a gift, a gift of joy. 

This is my first day of break (sort of) and I am joyous to be able to devote some time to Christmas even if it's cleaning my house. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?