Advent Thought, #8, December 7

A friend gave me two CDs he made of the Christmas songs (and "skits" or "readings") that Luther Masingill, the radio icon, used to play on his morning shows.  They are, in general, a joy to have.  Except.

He gave me everything from the touching reading "The Birds" by Paul Harvey, to the dogs barking "Jingle Bells" to "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth."  The apex are the hymns; the nadir is "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."  I subjected myself to that one on the way to Atlanta yesterday, in the dark morning rain.  Really vulgar and tasteless.

I recount this because Christmas can lead us to the most sublime and most debased. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?