Jane Eyre, Just Saying

Last night I watched on NetFlix (and my new Mac with a new super dooper router for wireless) the 2011 version of Jane Eyre.  Since I consider the 2006 PBS version with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens to be the definitive Jane Eyre (just like the '90s, 5-hour version Pride and Prejudice with an absolutely knockout Colin Firth as Darcy) this production seemed at best superfluous.  The set pieces and visuals were nice, and Rochester (Michael Fassbender) was pretty good, but Mia Whatever her spelling is was just not good. I kept wanting her to be Jane, to show that inner passion that Jane kept so under lock and key, and I wanted to see what it was Rochester falls in love with.  Alas.  It was not to be.  I didn't have trouble with the in media res approach of the screenplay, but they left out too many important scenes to keep it to two hours.

I know, I know, a movie is not a novel.  But don't mess with greatness, and I love Jane Eyre the novel. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?