Observations on a Rainy Sunday Afternoon Before Football

I will probably go to a movie rather than watch the Super Bowl, since I have no use for football.  My son and I visited the Hunter Museum, which is free on the first Sunday of the month.  I cannot say enough good things about the Hunter Museum of American Art in Chattanooga, and I saw some new pieces of the collection. 

I am a big disturbed to find out that someone I had long admired is anti-semitic--or was.  Martin Luther.  He developed shocking and disconcerting views as he aged.  Perhaps a result of his mental illness and depression, but nonetheless wrong and possibly influential in the wrong way.  This is definitely an experience of cognitive dissonance.  Having been acculturated in fundamentalism/evangelicalism, which reveres the Jews (although in a particular way), I find anti-semitism very distressful.

Our pastor pointed out last week that the Lord Prayer says, "Out Father, . .  . give us . . . lead us . . . deliver us . . . . "  Not My Father, give me, lead me.  This is a paradigm shift.

Finally, I may go attend another biopic. Biopics are "based on  a true story," but they aren't true stories.  We so want them to be, but they aren't. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?