Comfort, Normality, and Reality

I have a post-it-note (TM) on my computer at work:  "We must become comfortable with being uncomfortable. "

The world is messy; our lives, whether we want to admit it or not, are messy.  Achieving order and balance in life is a good, ongoing goal, but it will never be achieved 100%.  We are a nation of OCD-types, thinking we can erase the messiness but all we are doing is creating a veneer of perfection, like a Southern Living magazine cover.

This is not to say that disorder, clutter, and filth are in any way acceptable; only that there will always be dust bunnies and cobwebs in the corner, there will also be an unpaid bill or unanswered letter, there will always be uncompleted tasks. 

Deeper, though, I am talking about being uncomfortable knowing there is ISIS killing our brothers and sisters, there is hunger and poverty and slavery.  We should be uncomfortable and stay that way, irritated and annoyed and looking for answers because it is human nature only to look for answers when there is disequilibrium.

I say this as I plan to go clean out my basement this morning!  An unfinishable task.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?