Woman's Best Friend, too

Our little dog Bumper, whom we inherited from my mother after her death last July, woke up yesterday with a back leg that didn't want to work.  He laid around most of the day, declining to move until well into the afternoon.  Because we had to euthanize a little dog in 2013 who developed back problems and because Bumper seemed to be acting like Buddy did, I took him to the vet.  I found out he has arthritis and needs some analgesic, which she "gave" (re:  sold) me for way to high a price, although I don't think we can give him the human equivalent of a nonsteroidal anti-inflamatory. because of his size (only 20 pounds).  Buddy's problem was much more serious--broken back.  I knew it wasn't too serious with Bumper when he heard the garage door open and he recovered enough to run out of the room.

Of course, Bumper is nine years old, or 63 in dog years as they say.  If I suffer from a stiff back every morning (especially after three hours of heavy gardening yesterday), I suppose he is entitled to arthritis in a knee.  Nala the pit bull, whom I call "Princess Poopsalot," is 28 and well past old enough to move out and get her own place.  Nala and I have a love-tolerance relationship, although the balance changes.  I do not love her and often tolerate her at best, although I play with her and treather well.  I just don't want to use the word "love" on a dog because it cheapens it from a spiritual sense.  She usually expresses love to me, especially when she wants something.  She is very intelligent, though, but headstrong.   My husband thinks she is amazing; I just roll me eyes. Bumper is not as smart but wants to be in the room with me all the time. 

How they infiltrate our minds and hearts!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?