Temptation Revisited--click bait

In the Odyssey, Odysseus (Ulysses) had his soldiers stop up their ears and tie him to the mast so that they would not succumb to the Sirens.

I consider click bait on Facebook and other sites to be the modern-day Sirens.  How much time I have wasted looking at:
Pinterest fails (which are funny)
Creepy pictures that are supposed to make me have nightmares and don't even bother me
Photos of twins who are two different races (apparently)
Celebrities who (fill in the blank--were in horrible movies, died too young, have ugly siblings)
People with deformities (what is this, the freak show at the circus?  These poor people are being exploited.)
Photoshopped nonsense
Historical oddities

The Internet has turned into Ripley's Believe It or Not, a feature that used to appear in the Sunday papers when I was a kid. 

So, my resolution from this moment is to --in the words of Taylor Swift--never, never, never, ever, ever, ever click on one of those again and use that time when I could be praying, writing, interacting with people, or cleaning my refrigerator.

Now if I can just stop watching the videos of dogs and cats people post.

Here's an even better idea.  Skip Facebook altogether.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?