The Temptation Was Too Great

I have, like too many others, chosen to read about Bruce Jenner after feeling like I couldn't get out of it, since when I check my Yahoo mail the Vanity Fair cover shouted at me.  So I have read varying opinions this week.  They seem to be categorizable into the following:
1.  Rants or sarcasm or invective
2.  Calls for compassion
3.  Accolades for his choice
4.  Theological discussions about what he has done
5.  Psychological analyses of his action and transgenderism

Smarter people than I have written about it, so I'll refrain from saying more than that I find it sad that he was apparently so unhappy that this was his solution. Also sad for his children.  And I am angry about the media and the constant throwing of this in our faces.  According to one source, he sped up this "process" because he was pressured by the producers of his reality show.  If that is true, it casts a whole differently light on the subject.  Why a reality show?  Why did he allow himself to be pressured when this is all about choice?  Of course it, like a lot of things around this, might not be true.

Also, I have to say I am not buying those pictures.  Other than the fact he is slender, those photos are so photoshopped, etc. that all I can say is fake. He's 65, people!  In the photos he looks 25!  That's ludicrous!  No 65-year-old woman looks that good without lots and lots and lots of help.

I was reminded of the story, though, in John 8 of the woman caught in adultery, and Jesus' comment at the end (I don't accept the story as canonical, really, but it's there for a reason and the church fathers apparently did).  "He who is without sin cast the first stone."  I think that is taken out of context, but I do think it is a call for compassion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?