30 Years Since Challenger Tragedy

This morning when I was planning my day, I thought, "It's January 28.  What is it I am supposed to know or remember about January 28?"  By the time I was at work, I learned; today is the 30th anniversary of the Challenger disaster.

I remember that day very well.  I didn't see the explosion on television, and only knew about it until an afternoon class.  That evening President Reagan gave one of his most memorable (and studied) speeches, and we have had 30 years of research on what went wrong.  Edward Tufte wrote about it in his book on data display (Visual Explanations: Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narrative)
and how it can me misleading.   I even wrote my first real short story (at 30 in a Fiction Writing class) about that morning.

But I was heartbroken anew by this story.  Listen and feel the tragedy.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/01/28/464744781/30-years-after-disaster-challenger-engineer-still-blames-himself

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?