Forgiveness: Thoughts

Forgiveness hinges on total recognition of the wrong done.  While the wrong done may not be the worst thing that ever happened, diminishing its importance or injury is not part of forgiveness (neither is going on and on about it).  In other words, it does little good to say, "It was no big deal."  Especially if the person asking forgiveness felt the need to ask it.

"I forgive you," should never be followed by "but" or advice.  The statement is enough, if sincere; move on.  Thanking for the apology might be good, though.

I cannot grant forgiveness because I have moral superiority.  I cannot grant forgiveness because I haven't done something as bad.  I can't grant it because of tit for tat.

I can only grant it because I am forgiven for much worse by God.  Grace for grace.  That is the parable of the unjust steward, the world's most concise sermon on forgiveness 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?