Those moments of transcendence

Sometimes I think our lives have long stretches of normalcy (I won't say boredom because boredom is a choice) between moments of transcendence.  The key is to have your tuner ready for the transcendence.

One yesterday:  hearing Justice Thomas read Romans 5 at Justice Scalia's funeral.  Those eternal words uttered by that serious, no nonsense voice, took my breath away.

The last two or three minutes of To Kill a Mockingbird.  I post this in honor of Harper Lee.  I wish all of us writers would have her humility about her work.

One not remotely in the same league but rather a revelation to me was driving my new car for the first time yesterday.  It has been a month since my wreck, and my husband found a used Lexus for a reasonable price.  Because I was out of town, I didn't get a chance to drive it--until I got home last night from my trip to central Georgia for a conference.  I had never driven a luxury car before, and I now understood.  It was impossible to feel rushed in that car.  My whole being was reminded that rushing is so pointless, just enjoy the moment.  (I still am nervous about driving after the wreck, and probably will be for a while, but yesterday I just enjoyed.)

The downside of the Lexus is that we are not entirely sure what to do with all the bells and whistles on it yet.  It even has a built in garage door opener.

 On the other end of the spectrum, there are moments of perplexity bordering on despair.  I really thought the people of my husband's home state would have more sense.  Of course, I remind myself that 33% of the vote is hardly a win; in fact, he really has nothing much to brag about, except that none of the others have garnered that much.  I will vote for Kasich when we have our primary.  As for the Dems, I have no idea what is going on with them--either. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?