Another Generation Arose

I taught from the first two chapters of Judges this morning.  I had volunteered to teach my small study class before I realized it was about Judges, so I was challenged to find the meaning in it.  Since Romans 15:4 and I Corinthians 10 tells us there is value in the Old Testament narratives, I can't just pass over them, even though I have a note in my version of the Bible that the book of Judges is like a Quentin Tarantino movie.

Judges 2:10 was my message:  A generation arose that did not know the LORD.  As in Spanish, Hebrew made a distinction between intimate personal knowledge and just knowing what or how.  (Conocer vs. saber)  This know in 2:10 is intimate personal knowledge.  It was not a matter that the next generation was not told the stories of the past lives of the Jews; they did not share the faith and emotional experience of knowing God that Joshua and the elders had.

When we pass the baton on to the next generation, they must have seen the reality of God in our lives.  That we made choices that were hard for the sake of the gospel.  That we obeyed.  That we loved those who were hard to love.  That we were in the word.  That we prayed.

Instead of making mocking songs about millennials, we should recognize the pressures on them that tempt them from the gospel.  They have much more temptation on them than we want to admit, some of it our own making.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?