Saturday, August 27, 2016

The Writing Life, revisited

I participated (for 2.5 hours) today in the First Chattanooga Readers and Writers Fair.  I appreciate the city running this.  It was supposed to run til 3, and is still going on as I write this, but I could no longer bear mid-90s in the direct sun.  But I did meet some interesting folks.

I shared a space with a young man and his daughter; he and his wife homeschool their five children, go to a PCA church, and were very pleasant.  They have children's books and were smart enough to have an area for children to color.

Me, I borrow a table from a friend, made a poster, set up my books and sat in a lawn chair.  I chatted up customers and sold one book, but I also directed them to cheaper copies on Amazon, so maybe that will build good will. 

My favorite (not) visitor to my table was an old guy who, when I asked him what he was interested in, said, "Do you have anything smutty?"  Who says "smutty" nowadays.  I also met an older woman who, I think, responded to God recently but had a lot of misconceptions.  I am reminded of the story of the man healed from blindness who first saw men as trees walking.  Even conversion can't get our worldview straight instantaneously; it might take years, which is the whole point of growth.

I saw some writer friends and colleagues.  I got some business cards related to my real job.  I saw the mayor of Chattanooga (there is just something about politicians in a crowd). 

So, despite selling just one book, it wasn't a waste and I'm glad I went, but I'm exhausted now from the heat.  I do these things about once a year.  Writing requires a huge chunk of time marketing, which I just can't do.  I do hope I get "discovered" sometime. 

No comments:

How to Get Through College in Four Years

It is possible to get through college in four years, although the majority of college graduates do not achieve this feat. 1.  Don't cha...