Fresh Studies in Matthew, Matthew 4:11 and following
- This phrase was the same as John the Baptist’s (3:2)
- “Kingdom of God” is used elsewhere in Jesus’ teaching but Matthew uses “Kingdom of heaven.”
- It has “drawn near” but how near?
- What is the kingdom of heaven? The king has drawn near in this context, so is that it? This simply does not fit our neat theologies.
- Two things:
- This is the announcement of extreme importance and it calls for repentance. Why? Because we are not worthy to enter it without a change of mind and being. We give such a prominent part of the gospels so little attention. Ultimately something new has arrived, something requiring a turning of wants to fit into it.
- Repentance is not a work, but resting from works and work to please God, and from works of unrighteousness