Sunday, November 06, 2016

Presidential Race Finals

-->
I have not posted about the presidential race, which thankfully is coming to an end, for a while.  I voted early Friday, which was the last day, so it really wasn’t that early.  I wrote in a name, which was meaningless because even though Georgia allows it, the write-ins have to have gone through a petition process with a certain number of names.  But there was no way I was tapping the screen beside either of those names. 
One of my students came up behind me in line at the polling station.  This was her first time voting.  I wanted to say “I am sorry, then, that you couldn’t have had better choices,” but I didn’t want to seem like I was electioneering!  They take that seriously.  The place was packed.  I am pretty sure 90% of the people there were voting for Trump, whether they were enthusiastic or not.  This is a deeply Republican county, but not always in a good way.  All but one of the other races involved unopposed incumbent Republicans.  The Senate race had three choices.  There were four ballot initiatives:  one on charter schools, involving failing schools being taken over by the state; one about the judicial review commission of the state, which I had heard about on a This American Life podcast; and two about using revenue from bad behavior to allay the effects of the bad behavior. 
I fear friendships have suffered due to this election; I fear the church has; I know the country has.  I won’t predict, but I have a strong sense of who will win, and it will a long four years. 
I blame the Republican party for not pressuring all those candidates to get out of the race faster so that Trump would not get 25 and 35% of primary votes; I blame the media who made him their darling and then turned on him, since I am pretty sure they wanted him to oppose Hillary because it would mean a sure win for her; I blame crooked Democrats who voted as Republicans in the primaries to gum up the works; I blame some of the candidates for not standing up to a bully and fighting him in his own way and allowing Trump to be the Republican standard-bearer. I blame people who have never voted who are voting this time because they like this demagogue. 

No comments:

How to Get Through College in Four Years

It is possible to get through college in four years, although the majority of college graduates do not achieve this feat. 1.  Don't cha...