Fresh Look at Matthew: Mathew 14, end

--> This chapter ends with a statement that would lead the reader to believe that the numbers of those healed by Jesus was very high.  I don’t think we can know this, but it would seem he would have more followers at the end before the cross.  However, since thousands came to Christ after the resurrection, these miracles were probably the seed.  Then again, the world was not as populated then as now, and this is one region, so there’s no way to tell. 

The point I’d like to make is where did the healing fit into his ministry and mission?  Why heal? Centrally, no matter how many were actually healed.  Luke if anyone would be a skeptic about spontaneous healings, and he writes about them as enthusiastically as anyone. 

God’s power is great enough to change viral and bacterial structures, DNA even if needed, although it seems most of these healings in the gospels were for diseases of external origin (like leprosy) or congenital (like blindness) causes and deformities. 

Praying for healing is commanded.  God does not get a kick out of making us suffer and, unlike some of my Christian and prolife contemporaries, I do not think the verses about suffering are about suffering from illness, rather suffering from persecution.  If a condition is treatable, get it treated.  Jesus did not hold back from anyone; he did not say, “Well, I think you would be better of if I let you stay blind.”  His compassion was limitless and practical. 

A member of my Life Group class said this morning that she felt led to pray for a man who is in hospice to live 15 more years.  I pray for long life for a family member who after six years of chemo is stopping treatment.  We have not because we ask not.  I have no problem with praying for these seemingly impossible “miracles.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?