Compassion International Rocks

I did a walk with Compassion International this morning to raise money to children in poverty, specifically for basic needs like food, water, and immunizations.  As the advocate told me after she filtered some nasty water for me to drink through an $80 filtration system (no bigger than a hand) that cleans 1 million gallons, "Compassion works."  Fewer children are dying from poverty.  Children actually do grow up, get educated, get jobs, and get out of poverty through Compassion programs.

I was very angered that this country in embroiled in some sort of "who can virtue signal more" contest (and who can be stupider in response to a ridiculous president) rather than looking at real poverty and doing something about it, in this country and around the globe.  A child starving is more important than your blasted NFL game.  Turn off the TV, take the cable bill money or ticket fees, and do something useful with it. 

I don't do enough myself so I'm not pointing fingers. And I know that the problems of hunger and disease and lack of water are more than not caused by government and political instabilities and rash dictators rather than lack of technology or resources. We have enough for the world.  It just gets held up in warehouses to rot or stolen by corrupt government officials.  If the $80 filtration system can filter enough water for a village, that saves countless lives from disease.  A few pennies can immunize a child.  Less than a dollar can buy a mosquito net.  Bill Gates and his wife are doing phenomenal things with these kinds of tools. NGOs do better than governments.  It can be done. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?