College students, protests on campus, and current state of politics

-->
Administrations have to play a PR game.  Alumni of a school in the South, like Clemson, might not like the idea of protests where the flag or pledge of allegiance is disrespected publicly. Why should they support with their money an institution like that?  Free speech is responsible speech, although I recognize responsibility can be in the eye of the beholder.  We can protest specific policies of the government (which need to be) without destroying the basic symbols of what holds us together as a country.  The flag and allegiance is the current administration; the constitution and who we are as a republic transcends (thank heavens) Donald Trump, who is at best appalling. 

I think Trump is smarter than he’s taken for.  He’s doing all kinds of things, some of them rather good (Isis all but defeated, out of Iran deal and Paris climate accord, and fewer regulations) but the media is so fixated on his wife’s shoes and his Twitter wars with Bob Corker that they don’t see what’s going on.  I think he wants it that way.  Misdirection is the tool of the con man, and he’s a con man.

I am concerned about the stock market, though.  My investments have gone up 12% or more since his election but there’s talk of a bubble, so I’m not sure whether we should leave them in the stocks or put them all in bonds.  Or take them out and cash in the IRAs, at least my husband’s, entirely.  So, under Trump I’ve made money, theoretically, but I’m not sure what it means. 

I continue to be appalled as well at Christians who support Trump whole-heartedly. Sean Hannity was a guest speaker at Robert Jeffress church in Dallas (I say it’s his church, not Jesus’, because Jesus would not have Sean Hannity on his platform). I posted on Twitter that lots of people were rolling in their graves:  Charles Spurgeon for one. 

We are told to pray for our leaders but I find it very hard right now.  I prayed for Obama despite my disagreements with him. I don’t know how to pray for Trump.  

Whenever I see people protesting, I wonder how they have time to do so.  But if one feels strongly enough, one finds the time, so this is no criticism of protesters.  We can agree with the right to express oneself in protest and not like the how or the cause.  Such is the case with the NFL.  I think it's ineffective, but it's their right.  Whether the owners should forbid it is another matter; legally they can but it makes them look bad.  These kinds of things would probably die the death of attrition without being egged on by the media, since they are largely unproductive. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?