Fresh Look at Matthew: The Great Commission and end


This is the last post on Matthew.  Now that the Daniel and Leadership book is about done, my next in a series of Bible study books will be to put this one in book form.  I also plan to do the same with John next, then a book on the meaning of relationship in the faith based on the metaphors used for our relationship with God, and one on how to study the Bible for women.  This in addition to a book on high impact practices in education, on inspiring teaching, and novels.  I don't lack for ideas, just time and energy.  
The last reflection Matthew begins here.  
I have completely failed in this commandment. 
I have been more concerned about my own life than this commandmet.  I have looked for and found excuses to cover up my lack of obedience and compliance.  I have given money for others to do it.  I have occasionally entered into activities to facilitate this commandment.  But as to personal evangelism, I rarely do it. 
It is never too late.  I have a book that was given to me called “How to Talk about Jesus Without Freaking Out” and he encourages a conversational approach, but there is a gap here. Now I go into my oppositional mode.
I don’t make real friends with people just because they are not believers.  If I make friends with them because I want them converted, is that friendship?  How can I be friends with someone whose values are so different from mine?  Am I a friend to someone if I expect them to eventually adop my lifestyle but I have no intention of adopting theirs?
In terms of communication, can I be as open to another person in my communication as I expect them to be?  I want them to listen to me and conform; I don’t really want to listen to their viewpoints and consider them, because I know mine is the right one. 
So I guess I am saying that there are limits to this friendship evangelism model.  But I am being theoretical and analytical here, and in practice it’s not so clearcut.  A Christian can clearly show an interest and befriend a person to whom they are drawn and have a good relationship with them, hoping that person will embrace the gospel.  And perhaps they will, and perhaps they won’t, and perhaps the friendship can endure and perhaps it won’t.  In real life people have relationships with others with whom there are stark differences but they still enjoy and benefit from each other.
Life is messy and just doesn’t follow prescribed models.  I just have a reluctance to encourage relationship with others only for a conversion experience; I am pretty sure most people can see through that. 
The point is to go throughout the world wherever you go, and in going, tell the gospel.  It is not a command for every one of us to be in a foreign fields.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?