Should we care about the Harvey Weinstein scandal?

My first response to that question is no.  I'm sick of it splattered all over the news and at least NPR doesn't put it at the top of their news.  (I spent 8 hours in the car driving to Macon Thursday and back Friday and that meant listening to a lot of radio). I'm sick of his ugly face and the ugly stories of misused power and money, that he ran off to Europe after being fired and is facing arrests for rape, that Hollywood types knew about it for years and made awkward, unfunny jokes about it, and that these same people are so hypocritical about what they tolerate and don't tolerate based on politics (which almost always in embedded in pro-life and supposed control of women over their bodies).

Not to blame the victims, because some were young and naive and misunderstood the sinful culture, and I have no doubt they are telling the truth, but . . . some of these women should have said "the heck with my making millions on my next movie, I'm speaking out." Some seems to be speaking out now that they are either older, more established, rich,  can't get parts because of fading beauty, or, as in Gwyneth Paltrow's case, have hacked everyone off with her own brand of self-righteousness. There is no self-righteous like wealthy white liberal self-righteousness.  The Pharisees had nothing on these folks.  I also find it hard to feel sorry for a women who makes money posing in the nude or acting in the nude and who says she has been objectified by others.  We have a free society.  These women were not kidnapped at ten and sold into the sex trade.  They chose to go into the industry.  That is no excuse for Weinstein, who is twenty kinds of creepy.

All that said, I don't want to sound like I am                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        blaming the victim, only wondering what took them so long, but I do think a part of us should care about this mess.  For one, we consume these films, and maybe we should recognize the pit from which they come.  Second, this kind of evil exists outside of Hollywood (just less funded and less beautiful) and I'm probably more concerned for the fast food worker trying to help her family stay together who is harassed or mistreated by a boss than a multi-millionaire actress.  Third, perhaps we can be more aware of all abuses of power, even those we feel and see every day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?