Experiment: Two months on Twitter

In early September/late August I decided that it was time to learn Twitter.  My main reason is that I am the chair of an academic department that teaches courses in social media, so I believed I needed to be more informed.

So I revitalized my account, starting getting followers and following everyone and his brother and sister who looked remotely interesting, and started tweeting.  I tried to get out 10 a day at the beginning (retweets counted) but I couldn't keep that up. I especially couldn't after the Las Vegas shootings; I was too upset to go to social media, and I've been too busy.  I also am just not clever enough to tweet all that much.

So in two months (let's say 60 days, a round number) I tweeted 317 times which is an average of 5.3 a day, thereabouts.  Not too bad.  I have accrued 631 followers and follow 1583, which is a 40% percentage or 2.51:1.

So, what do I take away from this? (notice I am writing like tweets--fragments, fragmented phrases--to mock Twitter.)
1. Twitter is addictive.  If you let it be.  If you let yourself care about how many followers you want or have.  At first I said, "I'll get 100 followers, to see if I can."  Then it was 200, etc.  Now I want 1,000. That will not be enough eventually.  
2.  It is a cheap and deceptive way to convince yourself you are famous and matter.  Even if you don't.
3.  The 140 character limitation is an art form.  I kind of like it.  Of course, some people cheat and just do serial tweets.
4.  I resisted for 6 weeks before following real Donald Trump. Haven't read any of them yet, because .... 
5.  I rarely look at my feed, only when I am bored waiting in line or something.  Who has time for that?  I don't really read my Facebook feed either.  I check the notifications.  Is that narcissistic?
6.  Which brings me to the point:  Isn't this Twitter stuff a massive exercise in narcissism? Am I a better person for being on Twitter?  Am I a worse person? (maybe)  Am I a worse Christian? (can we really be worse Christians, since it's not exactly a competition?).
7.  I haven't sold one book due to Twitter.  I don't know if anyone even has come to this blog.  Sigh.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?