Advent Post 2017, #15

A friend posted a "meme" that said, essentially, that if you want to keep Christ in Christmas, feed the hungry, welcome the lonely, clothe the naked, etc.

Indeed.

I hear a lot of talk about Christian duty but not much action. Talk is cheap. 

I visited a friend today who has a chronic disease and is essentially a shut-in.  No one but family comes to see her (and me occasionally, but not enough). This has gone on for years. 

I confess to having been part of a legalistic fundamentalist group when I was younger.  But they did teach me that it's not just about what's in your heart, but what you do.  Just like talk is cheap, heart felt emotion can be cheap, too.  Back then we assumed you went to church two or three times a week--that was what Christians do.  Now once a week is considered a big deal.  Visitation (especially by the pastor) was assumed.  About 3% of churchgoers really tithe.

Christians were careful about what they watched on TV and movies, if they went to movies.  Now Christians have to see the latest films so they can be culturally savvy.

Do those hungry, lonely, and naked in the first line of the blog really care what movies we've seen?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?