Moving on and other stupid concepts

My Franklin Covey Planner never ceases to amaze me with its quotes of the day. 

Today I read, "You are responsible for your life.  You can't keep blaming somebody else for your dysfunction . . . Life is really about moving on." by Oprah Winfrey

Oh, my word. Where do we begin?

 Yes, to sentence 1.  Maybe to sentence 2 (if we take all the blame, we are just control freaks and are saying others get off the hook for their contribution to our dysfunction--dysfunction involves relationships, and taking all responsibility can be as wrong as taking no responsibility).

But I am really, after Parkland, Florida, bothered by the last sentence (to say nothing of who this is coming from, the woman the media says to embrace as our next president).

Less than 48 hours--much less--this tragedy is politicized, polarized, media-ized.  These families couldn't even bury their children without cameras in their faces.  So, I guess moving on after losing your child is now supposed to take less than a week?

The news media--both sides--has proven itself as evil in the last week, if they hadn't done so already.

These families will, I hope, never move on, if it means forgetting their child, forgetting the pain of losing him or her, or forgetting the beauty of that human being.  All this crap about moving on is another way of saying "I really don't want to hear about your grief, I don't want to deal with it, I want you to be as narcissistic and shallow as I am."

Later we can have a serious conversation (not rants and screams) about guns and who gets them (which is more the issue than the guns themselves, overall).  We own guns, but I have no problem with more reasonable restrictions on who gets them although trying to regulate it in a country this big is as hopeless as regulating marijuana production and use.   Raising the age to 21 for gun ownership (except for military or trained police) makes sense.  Things like that.

Not now.  As my conservative gurus (I'm being wise here) say, the Dems were in charge for a long time and didn't do anything about guns, and now they are screaming at Republicans.  The Republicans screamed about deficits and now look the other way.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?