Wilkie Collins

Yesterday was a rainy day, and I finally finished The Moonstone, the excellent (and very long) novel by Wilkie Collins that defined the detective fiction novel genre.  So I will turn to the other masterpiece, The Woman in White, wherein he writes in preface to the second edition:

"I have always held the old-fashioned opinion that the primary object of a work of fiction should be to tell a story."

That might seem obvious, but novels are written for other purposes, where the story and characters are subsumed to another purpose, usually a moral or political point.  Some good novels have done that, but I find that when I just let my characters be themselves, I'm much better off.

Anyway, I recommend The Moonstone to anyone willing to invest several months in its reading.  I loved it, but I started a while back and read a chapter or two at a time.  It's 380 dense pages, but the writing is spectacular.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?