Exercising my Second Amendment Rights

It was a beautiful day yesterday in Northwest Georgia, and I have been off this week for Spring Break.  I have worked at home for most of it, being quite productive. Yesterday we finally did something as a couple--shoot guns.

We visited an outdoor shooting range in Murray County, quite off the beaten path as is to be expected, since guns make a lot of noise.  Due to the excessive busy-ness of my job for the last two years, it's been a while since I've been shooting, and I'd never been to this range.

For those who have never been to an outdoor shooting range, the concept might be bizarre and frightening.  I would never do it without my husband, and I don't think he is all that crazy about going by himself, mostly because they are isolated.  Some might think it would be like this video of vandalism at another gun range in our area, but these fools are being prosecuted.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZyStPStFP0

No, it's not like that.  People come with their children; you have to wear ear and eye protection; assault rifles and skeet shooting are not allowed, and there is precise etiquette.  Specifically, one yells "Cold Range" when desiring to put up, change, or retrieve one's target at the various times while there.  There is typically a plastic fence at 25, 50, 100, or more yards,with a berm or hill around the area. You keep your distance from others (mainly, to keep from being hit or hitting them with ejected bullets, I think).

My husband fiddles with the guns a lot because that is what he does.  He's a tinkerer.  I am a pretty good shot.  I burst two balloons at 100 yards with a rifle (someone put the balloons there, and it's not a standard thing at gun ranges!)

I have to admit I enjoy it and posted photo below.  I still have trouble with the mechanism part, which means my husband has to help me, and guns don't always work (eject the bullets, load automatically).  I do feel strongly that responsible gun ownership must be protected, but I also think "responsible" is the key word. I don't have any problem with more restrictions as long as there is not national registry, because that may lead the government to go crazy and target gun owners.  I'm libertartian enough to not trust the government totally, no matter who is in the White House.

That said, I decided not to post anything on FB.  My life doesn't have to be there, and I'd get
"kickback" (bad pun) from someone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?