Good Friday post

My Good Friday started early.  Then at 8:45 I was at a faculty development event this morning where I spoke for about ten minutes on High Impact Practices a la AAC&U, which I am rather an expert on, actually, and am writing a book about.  I watched some of my colleagues presentations.  The program was a series of short TED talks called "Bold Talks" that I thought went quite well.  Being a public speaking instructor, I am conscious of being professional and fluent (read slick) in my presentation. 

Then I went to a Good Friday service at my church.  Which is the point of this post.

Last Sunday at ESL class my co-teacher and I planned to discuss the Christian, real meaning of Easter with our students, all of whom are Muslim immigrants.  I gave my conversion testimony, which probably was more relevant because I was older when I was converted (15).  They had good questions and listened respectfully, and I gave them a copy of Matthew 26-28 in Arabic and English. 

On of the questions was why Good Friday is called "good" when it was the day Jesus died.  Indeed.

It actually wasn't good.  It is only considered good to us today because we know what happened later.

Therefore: 
1.  A lot of what is said about Easter is tradition that is maybe confusing to the non-initiated; specifically the name, which should be dropped in favor of Resurrection Day in the Christian world. 
and 2, my favorite saying of this weekend: 

It's Friday, but Sunday's coming. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?