Kallman's Syndrome, Revisited Part II

I have been surprised to see, according to this software, that sites about transgendered people are coming to this site.  I'm thinking, "I never write about that topic--what's the connection?" I realized the other day that it is probably my posts on Kallman's Syndrome, which are among my most visited.

"Coming out" about Kallman's has been painful but I hope it helps some to know that you can get through this life and condition and have fulfillment.  Of course, my fulfillment is mostly because of the grace of Jesus Christ. With the identity as His follower, physical conditions come fourth or later.   

As a patient of Kallman's, I do not know what the connection to transgenderism is.  I never felt that I was a man living in a woman's body or even a non-woman.  I have all the working parts, just no gasoline.  I have been pregnant and had a child.  Granted, some aspects of stereotypical womanhood are puzzling to me, but I think that's because I was raised with brothers, married into a family of all males, and had a male child. Lots of women with plenty of hormones like outdoorsy activities (see my post about guns below) and are less emotional than "how women are supposed to be."

On the other hand, I do understand the common female tendencies to discount our abilities (women will not apply for higher level positions because they believe themselves not ready, whereas men will apply for them with the attitude they will learn as they go, which seems the healthier attitude), to overapologize, and to defer to men of lesser ability for no reason whatsoever.  I am applying for a much higher level position right now and experience the "oh, my, why am I doing it" feeling every day, and have to interrogate why.

I'm teaching a class in Interpersonal Communication this semester and the textbook author spends a lot of time in the book about gender differences in communication.  I've studied this a lot myself (my master's thesis was on this subject).  But such boxes have to be taken with a disclaimer, and I find myself outside the box frequently, as I imagine most people do.

I suppose I can see some connection with Kallman's, in some persons' minds, to gender dysphoria or transgenderism.  Despite any personal thoughts I might have on the subject, I would never publish them because I have not studied the situation or issue and it would be wrong for me to comment on something I know nothing about.  The reader who wants to find an issue in that or to read between the lines should not. It's immoral, in my opinion, to spout off on something I don't know about or understand.

In my seventh decade of living (oh,yes!) I rarely think about the Kallman's any more except for the lack of sense of smell.  My husband bought me some perfume the other day, and as always I just told him I would wear whatever smells good to him.  I do worry that the hormones I took for decades will cause some problems later, though.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?