St. Patrick's Day

This is my 1900th post!

Welcome to March 17, St. Patrick's Day.  The day that flagrant stereotypes are allowed.

We don't celebrate the contributions of the Irish this day.  We don't marvel at the story of Patrick.  We use it as an excuse to party and make fun of drunk Irishmen.

In the 1800s, the Irish Catholics were not considered "white" in this country, at least in the Northeast. That changed as racists saw the rise of African Americans and targeted them.

I have Scots Irish in my background, which is not really Irish. It refers to Scots who migrated to Northern Ireland before coming to the U.S. I also found through a DNA test that I'm 3/8 Scandinavian and 1/8 or 1/16 Mediterranean.   I was told for years I was Native American, but there seems to be some controversy there.

Read up on St. Patrick.  It's a great story of the early church. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?